Senior Machine Learning Engineer with 12 years experience including Amazon and Startups, applying Machine Learning, Cloud, Kubernetes, and Big Data technologies to deliver > $100M in annual revenue increases and significant boosts to user retention.
Seeking Senior/Staff Machine Learning Engineer positions leading tech, growing/mentoring junior and mid-level engineers, and delivering high-impact solutions and architectures in ambiguous problem spaces.
Lead Relevance and Trust/Qualification pillars for Amazon's Choice (AC), improving the quality of recommendations.
- Proposed, designed, trained, and productionized a tabular and text-based relevance classifier
- Increased annual revenue by $180M
- Reduced returns on AC purchases by 3.5%
- Reduce AC relevance defect rate by 25%
- Authored tech roadmaps and architectures, reducing system complexity and improving org velocity
- Mentored junior engineers and created/ran tech talk series for professional growth and knowledge sharing
- Lead team of 8 engineers delivering ML, pipelines, and API projects
Solo-founder at Thought Vector, building out ML products and providing ML consulting.
- Builds Taggit, a no-code text classification platform
- Built automatic model training, model eval, active learning, and online inference systems
- Built full-service text-tagging and dataset management system
- Built backend (Python/PyTorch) and frontend
- Taggit targets feedback quantification, content moderation, topic modeling, etc applications.
- Delivered object detection/image classification system for identifying specific shoes from consumer photos
- Built smart config-driven scraper for continuous and efficient data collection from Apple, Twitter, etc
Spear-headed creation of data science and machine learning products.
- Delivered NLP-powered Insights product providing text exploration, boosting dashboard MAU 150%
- Designed and delivered Love Report data product, forming basis for white glove data services
- Delivered quick-response predictor adopted by largest customers to reduce support costs
- Proposed and delivered phrase extraction/topic model
- Proposed and delivered sentinement classifier
- Coordinated with product and customer success teams to define experiments and features
- Lead teams of 2-3 engineers to deliver data/ML projects
Built out data pipelines for product recommendation push re-engagement SaaS product.
- Built candidate set via information retrieval and full-text search techniques
- Created search-based personalization/recommender system
- Created engineering process reducing incident rates significantly
- Implemented recommendation quality metrics
- Lead team of 2 engineers
Built group gifting platform GiftStarter, including SPA front-end and real-time slot buying scalable backend. Managed 1 other backend engineer.
- Built real-time slot reservation/selling system on Google Cloud Platform
- Created embedded tag for e-commerce partners to enable cross-site group gifting
- Lead 1 back-end engineer
TRUE STYLE was a personalized men's fashion shopping experience that learned user preferences.
- Built product and brand recommender system based on user behavior
- Integrated with external affiliate marketing systems
Designed and implemented complex signal processing systems via Cypress' programmable system-on-a-chip for large scale external customers. Applications include cardiac-wall conductance measurement, low-power sonar, and 3D-touch mobile touchscreen measurement.
NLSea + AToM - Seattle ML/NLP Meetups Organizer
python-bpe - Byte Pair Encoding in pure Python
- 200 Github stars
- ~128 downloads/week
phrase - Super fast phrase extraction tool
- 31 Github stars
- Fast: Counts 780k tokens per second per core
- Implemented in Rust
Customer Support on Twitter Dataset - Conversational dataset of high value business-to-customer interactions
- Cited > 50 times on Google Scholar
- 442 upvotes, 62 notebooks on Kaggle
- Awarded highest medal on Kaggle (Gold)
- Deep Learning
- Text Classification
- Text Embedding / Word2vec
- Language Modeling
- Topic Modeling
- Recommender Systems
- Model Deployment
- Model Productionization
- Feature Engineering
- Relevance Modeling
- Sentiment Analysis
- ML Lifecycle
- Information Retrieval
- Trust Modeling
- Big Data
- Data Engineering
- Data Science
- A/B Testing
- Data Structures
BS Electrical Engineering from Washington State University, graduated 2010.
- Lived in Japan for ~3 years
- Amateur photographer
- Engineer crush: Claude Shannon